Lending To Marijuana Businesses: The Webinar
On January 27, Robert McVay, our firm’s lead cannabis business lawyer, will be putting on a webinar on Lending to Marijuana Businesses. The National Business Institute will be webcasting this seminar from 10 a.m. until 11:30 a.m., Pacific Time. NBI describes this seminar as follows:
“In order to best assist your marijuana clients, you need to be well versed on the specific laws, regulations, recent legislation and requirements that surround commercial lending to marijuana businesses. In this program, experienced faculty who know the in’s and out’s of this niche industry will detangle credit risks, FinCEN guidance and applicable drug laws so that you can overcome common obstacles that frequently arise.“
This seminar will teach you the following:
- How the Controlled Substances Act affects the marijuana industry’s access to banking.
- How to review credit risks for banks that want to provide services in this area.
- How to interpret the Department of Justice’s memoranda – what does it mean, exactly?
- How to handle the latest due diligence requirements, risk assessment mandates, and required reporting for financial institutions.
This program is designed for attorneys who represent marijuana businesses, commercial bankers, lenders, accountants, and paralegals and its course content will focus on the following:
- How the Controlled Substances Act Affects the Marijuana Industry’s Access to Banking
- State Legalization vs. Federal Drug Laws
- Credit Risks for Banks That Want to Provide Services in This Area
- Interpreting the Department of Justice’s Memoranda
- Current Regulatory Structure for Banks
- FinCEN Guidance: Due Diligence, Risk Assessment Mandates for Financial Institutions, and Required Reporting
- Why Don’t we Have a Marijuana Bank? Industry Concentration and Safety and Soundness Considerations
- Update on Federal Legislation
- Update on Selected States
Robert heads up our firm’s cannabis banking practice and he represents a number of financial institutions on their cannabis banking and lending matters. Robert is frequently interviewed on cannabis banking and cannabis financing issues and he has written a number of articles related to those topics including the following:
- Marijuana Commercial Loans; Marijuana As Collateral Is THE Issue
- Cannabis Banking: It’s That Important
- Lending To Marijuana Businesses: The Webinar
- Cannabis Banking: Is Bitcoin the Answer?
- Marijuana Merchant Processing
- Marijuana Banking Is Still Very Much Alive
- Cannabis Business Banking. When, When, When?
- Feds Green Light Marijuana Banking
- Five Tips For Securing Investment Funds For Your Cannabis Business
- Marijuana Business Valuations: Still Mostly an Art, not a Science
- Cannabis Banking Laws That Work. Maybe Soon.
- Marijuana Banking Roundup
Robert’s talk will no doubt be an enlightening one and we urge you to go here to sign up.